One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove a hydrogen atom or atoms from (a compound)‘a dehydrogenated analogue of cortisone’
- ‘Carbon dioxide is formed when formic acid is dehydrogenated.’
- ‘Scientists found more dehydrogenates in Chinese livers than westerners through studies of intoxicated people from various countries.’
- ‘Alcohol dehydrogenase is an enzyme that takes a hydrogen atom from (dehydrogenates) an alcohol molecule.’
- ‘Because lignins are complex polymers, and no standard composition can be defined, calculations were based on end products being the dehydrogenated residues of the three main monolignols.’
- ‘Addition of ethylene, through a Friedel-Crafts alkylation, to benzene affords ethylbenzene, which can be dehydrogenated to give styrene.’
Mid 19th century: from de- (expressing removal) + hydrogen + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.