Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyses the removal of hydrogen atoms from a particular molecule, particularly in the electron transport chain reactions of cell respiration in conjunction with the coenzymes NAD and FAD.‘glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase’
- ‘The best studied set of isozymes is the lactate dehydrogenase system.’
- ‘Ammonia incorporation in animals occurs through the actions of glutamate dehydrogenase and glutamine synthase.’
- ‘Glucose is catalyzed to form gluconic acid by the glucose dehydrogenase or glucose oxidase reagent.’
- ‘Both classes of enzymes are involved in a wide range of redox reactions, e.g. succinate dehydrogenase and xanthine oxidase.’
- ‘Choline dehydrogenase of E. coli catalyses the first step in the synthesis of betaine, the oxidation of choline.’
Early 20th century: from de- (expressing removal) + hydrogen + -ase.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.