One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A day on which academic degrees are formally awarded.
- ‘It was built to be used for large gatherings including degree day, drama and musical productions and examinations.’
- ‘This year, while visiting Oxford in October, he was at last able to participate in what the university calls a ‘degree day ceremony’.’
- ‘Information about Degree Day for Graduands and Guests.’
- ‘Your degree day pack will also contain a booklet which will give you more information about the ceremony.’
2A unit used to determine the heating requirements of buildings, representing a fall of one degree below a specified average outdoor temperature (usually 18°C or 65°F) for one day.
- ‘Weather contracts on U.S. cities for the winter months are tied to an index of heating degree day values.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.