Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The disappearance of ice from a previously glaciated region.‘in the polar regions deglaciation has accompanied a slow, unsteady warming’
- ‘The major conclusions from these studies are that the most recent ice age lasted about 100,000 years and consisted of gradual cooling and glaciation followed by rapid deglaciation.’
- ‘This might be the result of genetically different populations or the populations that have emerged from different geohistorical periods depending on deglaciation processes.’
- ‘Glaciation and deglaciation of the continents are important mechanisms for changing the volume of water in ocean basins.’
- ‘The effects of deglaciation on tropical regions are not fully understood, but ambient temperatures at equatorial latitudes were cooler by approximately 5C during the last glacial maximum.’
- ‘Then the amount of snowfall tapers off during the next 200 years of deglaciation.’
- ‘‘It is still likely that a major deglaciation of the ice sheet will take centuries to millenniums to occur,’ he said.’
- 1.1count noun A period of geological time during which deglaciation takes place.‘the last deglaciation’
- ‘The difference between plant response to the Paelocene-Eocene warming and to the last deglaciation suggests that vegetation can't always respond quickly.’
- ‘The Younger Dryas Event is a climate reversal preceded and followed by abrupt warming during the deglaciation period about 11,000 years BP, according to the conventional chronology.’
- ‘I know it's not as well understood - but what is the approximate time frame over which carbon dioxide values returned to normal after the catastrophic deglaciations in the late Precambrian?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.