Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organism which supports the adult or sexually reproductive form of a parasite.Compare with intermediate host
- ‘The worms were using hyena and large cats as definitive hosts and bovids as intermediate hosts.’
- ‘Cats are considered the definitive host of toxoplasmosis.’
- ‘Once in the definitive host's gut, the tapeworm larvae mature into adults and shed eggs, completing the cycle.’
- ‘The next step in the typical, three-host life cycle invariably requires a predatory act by the definitive host.’
- ‘Another parasite under suspicion for otter deaths is Sarcocystis neurona, whose only definitive host is the opossum.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.