Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A payment made, typically by a government body, to cover a financial deficit incurred in the course of an activity such as farming.
- ‘The dependence of the rice marketing loan program on world prices prevents loan deficiency payments from adequately offsetting producers' market revenue losses.’
- ‘The position was worsened by the British system of farm deficiency payments, which depressed prices on the British market.’
- ‘It would result in lower prices and in more deficiency payments.’
- ‘Expressed as a percentage of the guaranteed price paid to farmers, the deficiency payment remained virtually unchanged, from 14.97 percent in 1993 to 14.28 percent in 2000.’
- ‘He made the decision to take the 0/92 payment (you got 92% of your deficiency payment if you harvested no crop).’
- ‘This protection came in the form of a federal crop insurance program, ad hoc disaster payments, and deficiency payments.’
- ‘For most people in Britain it was obvious that the old British system of deficiency payments to farmers, to compensate them for loss of income due to low prices, was much more sensible.’
- ‘A case in point is the peanut program where, under the 2002 U.S. farm program, production quotas were replaced with deficiency payments.’
- ‘The subsidies take many forms from vast income tax credits to companies that blend gas and ethanol to loan deficiency payments for the production of corn.’
- ‘As for the USA, the Uruguay Round was a major factor in bringing about the Freedom to Farm Act of 1996, which will eventually phase out the traditional systems of deficiency payments, originating in 1935.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.