One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A title conferred on Henry VIII by Pope Leo X in 1521. It was recognized by Parliament as an official title of the English monarch in 1544, and has been borne by all subsequent sovereigns.
- ‘For instance the ceremony surrounding the opening of parliament involves the Defender of the Faith but does that really influence the democracy itself?’
- ‘The king continued to have only one title everywhere - ‘of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India’.’
- ‘What France didn't have was a Defender of the Faith; it didn't have a Henry.’
- ‘He is the spiritual head, Defender of the Faith of the Church of England.’
- ‘The prince will one day become the supreme governor of the Church of England and Defender of the Faith.’
Translation of Latin Fidei Defensor.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.