Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arrangement of defensive lines or fortifications so that they can defend each other.
- ‘He must then establish a defence in depth housed on an engagement area that will not be visible in daylight until 30 minutes after the expected enemy attack.’
- ‘This option strengthens the nation's maritime shield by revitalizing the full range of capabilities that provide ‘maritime defense in depth.’’
- ‘In the 1720s, the strategic military forces were concentrated around Moscow, able to deploy to any theater, while a series of fortified lines were constructed along the outer perimeters to provide a defense in depth.’
- ‘As the Stalin Line had been largely dismantled, there was no defence in depth.’
- ‘It has been claimed that fortified defence lines, supported by defence in depth, were an outmoded concept in the face of a warfare of movement.’
- ‘An increased power of strikes delivered by the troops on the offensive forced the armies to switch from archipelago defense to total integrated defense in depth that balanced the sides’ fighting possibilities to a certain extent.’
- ‘It would provide defense in depth, with light screening forces located in a forward area and most forces concentrated close to key potential targets.’
- ‘The land allowed for defense in depth and could also serve as a bargaining tool for peace treaties when the fighting stopped.’
- ‘The Germans were using new tactics of defence in depth developed in the west, and the Russian offensive ground to a halt with appalling casualties.’
- ‘Meanwhile, an attempt by the military command to organize multi-layered defense in depth, patterned after the Soviet model built on the Kursk Bulge in 1943, proved ineffectual.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.