One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The desertion of one's country or cause in favour of an opposing one.‘his defection from the Labour Party’count noun ‘a number of defections by leading ballet dancers’
desertion, absconding, decamping, flightView synonyms
- ‘The amnesty was offered after Ieng Sary led a mass defection of thousands of Khmer Rouge forces to the government.’
- ‘One defection from the government dissolved Temaru's majority and the censure motions passed by a single vote.’
- ‘A single additional defection could mean losing a vote of no confidence, leading to early elections.’
- ‘The costs of defection, for its weaker participants, would assuredly be higher than are the costs of continued compliance.’
- ‘Moreover, her defection from the Democrats occurred soon after the failure of the coalition proposal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.