One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of remarks, writing, etc.) damaging the good reputation of someone; slanderous or libellous.‘a defamatory allegation’
libellous, slanderous, defaming, calumnious, calumniatory, vilifying, traducing, scandalous, scandalmongering, malicious, vicious, backbiting, muckraking, abusive, maledictory, maledictiveView synonyms
- ‘The proceedings are being used to make defamatory remarks about people.’
- ‘The unlawful publication of defamatory matter is an actionable wrong.’
- ‘We will remove any content that may put us in legal jeopardy, such as potentially libellous or defamatory postings.’
- ‘The defendant cannot engage in recrimination or trade defamatory comments with the claimant.’
- ‘There was an issue as to whether the article was defamatory of the plaintiff at all.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.