One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of remarks, writing, etc.) damaging the good reputation of someone; slanderous or libellous.‘a defamatory allegation’
libellous, slanderous, defaming, calumnious, calumniatory, vilifying, traducing, scandalous, scandalmongering, malicious, vicious, backbiting, muckraking, abusive, maledictory, maledictiveView synonyms
- ‘The defendant cannot engage in recrimination or trade defamatory comments with the claimant.’
- ‘There was an issue as to whether the article was defamatory of the plaintiff at all.’
- ‘We will remove any content that may put us in legal jeopardy, such as potentially libellous or defamatory postings.’
- ‘The proceedings are being used to make defamatory remarks about people.’
- ‘The unlawful publication of defamatory matter is an actionable wrong.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.