One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of damaging the good reputation of someone; slander or libel.‘she sued him for defamation’
libel, slander, character assassination, defamation of character, calumny, vilification, traducement, obloquy, scandal, scandalmongering, malicious gossip, tittle-tattle, backbiting, aspersions, muckraking, abuse, maledictionView synonyms
- ‘In defamation the falsity of the libel or slander is presumed; but justification is a complete defence.’
- ‘If the contents of the publication are untrue the law of defamation provides prohibition.’
- ‘Defendants have counterclaimed for defamation and abuse of process.’
- ‘No defamation occurs until the defamatory matter is communicated to a third party.’
- ‘The tort of defamation protects a person from untrue imputations which harm his reputation with others.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.