Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Leather made from deer's skin.‘a couch of deerskin’[as modifier] ‘deerskin boots’
- ‘The fundamental item of men's clothing was a breechcloth made of a strip of deerskin or fabric.’
- ‘The Mohican decorated their deerskin clothing, baskets, and other artefacts with quillwork, corn husks, beads, feathers, and paint.’
- ‘One could almost believe that at any moment Scott and his men would come shuffling in, hang up their deerskin coats and start boiling a brew.’
- ‘Women wore a short skirt and sometimes a deerskin shirt.’
- ‘Charlie Palmer removed his walnut-colored canvas field coat and deerskin shooting gloves.’
- ‘Before the Ojibwa began to trade with Europeans and Americans, they wore clothing made from animal hides, primarily from tanned deerskin.’
- ‘He was wearing deerskin clothes that looked pretty grimy and he didn't smell pretty with the grease and whisky and dead animal stinks coming off him.’
- ‘I'd spent nearly a year making the dress from four deerskins.’
- ‘More recent Indian medicine men carried charms, fetishes and sacred talismans in similar deerskin bags that must have been a potent symbol of tribal authority.’
- ‘The clothing of the Iroquois was typically made from deerskin.’
- ‘For ceremonies, the men wore a deerskin shirt decorated with paint, feathers, porcupine-quills and scalps.’
- ‘The men wore deerskin breechcloths.’
- ‘The traditional Ewenki house resembles an umbrella framed by twenty-five to thirty poles covered with birch bark and deerskin.’
- ‘By the end of the eighteenth century, trade cloth replaced deerskin as the basic clothing material.’
- ‘The women wore deerskin dresses, leggings, moccasins, and petticoats made of woven nettle or thistle fibers.’
- ‘During warm months the Ojibwa slept on cedar bough mattresses, each person wrapped in a bearskin or deerskin robe.’
- ‘Women wore short, thick kilts of shredded tulles or skirts of deerskin.’
- ‘With her long black braids and beaded deerskin dress, Rosebud Yellow Robe was an intriguing presence, holding audiences spellbound with her renditions of traditional Indian stories and her demonstrations of native crafts.’
- ‘Traditional clothing for men consisted of a breech-cloth, deerskin leggings, a shirt, and, in winter, moccasins.’
- ‘He survived by eating his deerskin boots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.