One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extensive area of wild forest reserved for the hunting of deer.‘a remote deer forest’mass noun ‘the eastern part of the island is largely deer forest’
- ‘On the way you drive through deer forest and wide open fields.’
- ‘The land was then given over to sporting estates to become grouse moors and deer forests, the playgrounds of the new industrial aristocracy.’
- ‘She also owns a stud farm near Newbury and a deer forest in the Highlands.’
- ‘After 1860, tenants were cleared to create deer forests, treeless shooting estates which, by 1914, covered 3 ½ million acres in the Highlands.’
- ‘Landlords were evicting the crofters, replacing them with sheep and sporting deer forests and leaving them no alternative but emigration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.