One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extensive area of wild forest reserved for the hunting of deer.‘a remote deer forest’mass noun ‘the eastern part of the island is largely deer forest’
- ‘The land was then given over to sporting estates to become grouse moors and deer forests, the playgrounds of the new industrial aristocracy.’
- ‘Landlords were evicting the crofters, replacing them with sheep and sporting deer forests and leaving them no alternative but emigration.’
- ‘On the way you drive through deer forest and wide open fields.’
- ‘After 1860, tenants were cleared to create deer forests, treeless shooting estates which, by 1914, covered 3 ½ million acres in the Highlands.’
- ‘She also owns a stud farm near Newbury and a deer forest in the Highlands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.