One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A body of people, typically influential members of government agencies or the military, believed to be involved in the secret manipulation or control of government policy.‘the deep state and its policy of allowing extremist ideologies to flourish may be the actual issues of concern’
- ‘Certain key areas of the judiciary belong to the Deep State.’
- ‘Should he win the election, the apparatus of the deep state will constrict him and not be cooperative.’
- ‘The military commanders of the Deep State do not take up the plow once they lay down the sword.’
- ‘Ultimately that would disrupt the US deep state.’
- ‘The Deep State does not consist of the entire government.’
- ‘Does the executive even really control these deep state functionaries?’
- ‘The amazing thing about the American system is just how it shields from general view the workings of the Deep State.’
- ‘And everyone in DC is in a position to be pressured to do what the Deep State wants, or else.’
- ‘Knowledge as power means understanding how these things work relative to the deep state.’
- ‘One would like to believe that the Deep State top dogs actually have some sort of "vision" going for them.’
1990s: probably a translation of Turkish derin devlet (the term was first used with reference to Turkey).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.