Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually as modifier] The deeper parts of the ocean, especially those beyond the edge of the continental shelf.‘deep-sea diving’
- ‘With the start of the Pacific war, however, virtually all deep-sea fishing and whaling came abruptly to an end.’
- ‘During an open afternoon, the company chartered a boat for employees to go deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘And when deep-sea boats have been able to get out, the fishing outside has been reasonable.’
- ‘Few of us will ever have a chance to visit a deep-sea ridge to witness a volcanic eruption as new oceanic crust is being formed.’
- ‘Emiliani was convinced that the way to calculate the number of ice ages in the recent past was to look at deep-sea sediments.’
- ‘No one expected to find gypsum in a deep-sea deposit, much less in association with gravel-sized grains.’
- ‘Danang boasts coral reefs for scuba diving and deep-sea fishing, as do the more southern beach resorts of Nha Trang.’
- ‘The boat, outfitted for deep-sea fishing featured a chair and harness with a socket to hold the pole.’
- ‘Eathan breathed in the deep-sea air that misted across the ocean and grinned.’
- ‘Divers have attempted deep-sea diving to recover the panels, but none have yet been found.’
- ‘Genetic, community, and landscape aspects of deep-sea biodiversity will be discussed.’
- ‘On the coast, popular water sports include sailing, skin diving, and deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘Men, especially young men, are expected to undertake physically strenuous or dangerous tasks such as deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘We have an enormous coastline and vast ocean resources out to the 200-mile limit for deep-sea farming.’
- ‘The deepest parts of the oceans, the elongate deep-sea trenches, were located on the oceanward side of these arcs.’
- ‘Also on the rock are a deep-sea crab and several types of sea anemones.’
- ‘Exhibits will range from displays of model boats to stands where visitors can learn more about sports such as deep-sea diving to sailing.’
- ‘The deep-sea species inhabit the ocean shelf around 100 miles off the north-west coast of Scotland.’
- ‘The Island of Fuerteventura is famous for windsurfing and James can try his hand at deep-sea fishing, or both can enjoy scuba diving.’
- ‘Exciting untapped resources are the deep-sea vents occurring along ocean ridges, such as the East Pacific Rise and the Galapagos Rift.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.