Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
usually as modifier The deeper parts of the ocean, especially those beyond the edge of the continental shelf.‘deep-sea diving’
- ‘We have an enormous coastline and vast ocean resources out to the 200-mile limit for deep-sea farming.’
- ‘The deep-sea species inhabit the ocean shelf around 100 miles off the north-west coast of Scotland.’
- ‘The boat, outfitted for deep-sea fishing featured a chair and harness with a socket to hold the pole.’
- ‘Also on the rock are a deep-sea crab and several types of sea anemones.’
- ‘No one expected to find gypsum in a deep-sea deposit, much less in association with gravel-sized grains.’
- ‘During an open afternoon, the company chartered a boat for employees to go deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘Exhibits will range from displays of model boats to stands where visitors can learn more about sports such as deep-sea diving to sailing.’
- ‘With the start of the Pacific war, however, virtually all deep-sea fishing and whaling came abruptly to an end.’
- ‘Exciting untapped resources are the deep-sea vents occurring along ocean ridges, such as the East Pacific Rise and the Galapagos Rift.’
- ‘And when deep-sea boats have been able to get out, the fishing outside has been reasonable.’
- ‘The Island of Fuerteventura is famous for windsurfing and James can try his hand at deep-sea fishing, or both can enjoy scuba diving.’
- ‘Genetic, community, and landscape aspects of deep-sea biodiversity will be discussed.’
- ‘Divers have attempted deep-sea diving to recover the panels, but none have yet been found.’
- ‘Eathan breathed in the deep-sea air that misted across the ocean and grinned.’
- ‘Men, especially young men, are expected to undertake physically strenuous or dangerous tasks such as deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘The deepest parts of the oceans, the elongate deep-sea trenches, were located on the oceanward side of these arcs.’
- ‘Emiliani was convinced that the way to calculate the number of ice ages in the recent past was to look at deep-sea sediments.’
- ‘On the coast, popular water sports include sailing, skin diving, and deep-sea fishing.’
- ‘Danang boasts coral reefs for scuba diving and deep-sea fishing, as do the more southern beach resorts of Nha Trang.’
- ‘Few of us will ever have a chance to visit a deep-sea ridge to witness a volcanic eruption as new oceanic crust is being formed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.