Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An environmental movement and philosophy which regards human life as just one of many equal components of a global ecosystem.
- ‘Naess wrote up a treatise describing the eight principles of deep ecology, which contends that nonhuman life has value ‘independent of the usefulness of the nonhuman world for human purposes.’’
- ‘The ideology of Earth First was not so much about direct action or being outsiders for wilderness, it was more about spreading the then-revolutionary ideas of conservation biology and deep ecology.’
- ‘We return to the pagan when we practice deep ecology, because for the pagan ‘Love your mother ‘means not only your human biological mother, but mother earth who nurtures you, balances you, and grounds you in her embrace.’’
- ‘Then we look at some of the new systems of ideas, like deep ecology.’
- ‘Cronon argued strenuously against the ecocentrist position advocated by deep ecology.’
- ‘What intrinsic worth is given to matters of deep ecology and spiritual integrity?’
- ‘To be one with nature and with all humanity; this concept is found in many religious teachings and is also fundamental to the principles of deep ecology.’
- ‘Macy is an eco-philosopher and scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology.’
- ‘Eco-centrism borrows from conservation biology, the preservationist tradition and deep ecology.’
- ‘Wicca sub-divided into several traditions - Gardnerian and Alexandrian being two of the most prominent, and also tied in neatly with Feminist Goddess spirituality and deep ecology.’
- ‘How does environmental ethics or deep ecology inform your reading?’
- ‘Many conservation biologists enter ecosystem research because they are deeply concerned about ecological issues and often hold a deep ecology perspective.’
- ‘He conveyed a deepened sense of environmental activism and Earth stewardship to the Pagan and New Age communities, where he became a primary voice of deep ecology.’
- ‘I'd like to think that the tenets of deep ecology are part of human consciousness by dint of the fact that we evolved, co-evolved with entire biotic communities.’
- ‘I've been involved in the Gaia Foundation for the last 14 years, working in the area of deep ecology, spiritualism and environmental activism.’
- ‘The incorporation of concepts of deep ecology brings to practice the belief that we are fundamentally connected: all phenomena, individuals, and societies are both embedded in and dependent on the cycles of nature.’
- ‘The politics of class, race, gender and justice are not meaningfully connected to deep ecology.’
- ‘On the other hand, David Rothenberg's more nuanced analysis of deep ecology has been most influential in some circles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.