Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an animal, especially a fish) having a body which is deeper (from back to belly) than it is wide.
- ‘Oncorhynchus kisutch are deep-bodied salmon with unique color characteristics.’
- ‘The blacksmith is a perch shaped fish, elongate, but deep-bodied and compressed.’
- ‘These fishes are laterally compressed (very thin when viewed from the front) but deep-bodied, appearing almost circular from the side. Strongly sheathed dorsal, pelvic, and anal fin spines accentuate the disk-like body shape.’
- ‘Study of this new species, along with re-examination of S. popularis, indicates that Shonisaurus was not as deep-bodied as previously reconstructed.’
- ‘Largest of all the jacks is the mighty almaco, a deep-bodied amberjack with a dark olive-coloured diagonal stripe that stretches from mouth across the eye to around the dorsal fin.’
- ‘The USFWS will also map out critical-habitat areas for the Gila chub, a small-finned, deep-bodied member of the minnow family found in New Mexico and Arizona, and for four freshwater snails in New Mexico.’
- ‘Opaleye have an oval, deep, and compressed body that gives the impression of a deep-bodied perch with a rounded nose.’
- ‘Given the extremely deep-bodied construction of the borzoi, one is not surprised at the incidence of bloat (also known as gastric torsion) in this breed.’
- ‘First move was to dip into the livewell and round up a pair of hand-size, thin, deep-bodied silvery fish - Atlantic bumper.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.