One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A strongbox for keeping deeds and other documents.
- ‘Some cash and deed boxes were decorated, often with dragons, etc. and some were monogrammed to order.’
- ‘It will have been put away in the deed box not to surface again until the testator either wishes to vary it or dies.’
- ‘In addition, there is a ‘metal deed box’ at Durham Cathedral library that contains ‘some four thousand items, mainly incoming letters’ that are uncatalogued,’
- ‘I was asked to visit their house because they had a few papers, to find two 18th century deed boxes both quite literally crammed full with 18th and 19th century documents.’
- ‘The earliest papers seem to have been multi-purpose as they have been found lining deed boxes and harpsichords as well as decorating walls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.