Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a cell or tissue) undergo a reversal of differentiation and lose specialized characteristics.‘some types of human cells dedifferentiate in culture, becoming primitive, unspecialized cells’
- ‘A third approach is to use one's own specialized cells and dedifferentiate them.’
- ‘For example, they found that the proliferating cells dedifferentiated, meaning they temporarily lost the characteristics of mature heart muscle cells and reverted to a more fetal type of proliferating cell.’
- ‘By manipulating niche signals, they could make the stem cells differentiate, then dedifferentiate again.’
- ‘The search for compounds to differentiate and dedifferentiate (specialize and despecialize) stem cells is accelerating due to advances in biotechnology for growing and screening cells.’
- ‘The ability to dedifferentiate stem cells (the article uses the term retrodifferentiation) would be incredibly valuable just for leukemia treatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.