Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The radial distance from the pitch circle of a cogwheel or wormwheel to the bottom of the tooth space or groove.Compare with addendum
- ‘You do need a hob drawing which would have the addendum equal to the dedendum of the gear you are cutting.’
- ‘The base, standard pitch, addendum and dedendum circles are dashed, and the rack reference origin is highlighted.’
- ‘Gears have addendums and dedendums that are the amount of tooth above and below the pitch line.’
- ‘The dedendum of the spur gear must be greater than the addendum of the lantern gear to prevent interference.’
- ‘Moderate scoring shows up as a characteristic wear pattern, often in patches on the addendum, dedendum, or both.’
Early 20th century: from Latin, thing that can be surrendered, neuter gerundive of dedere.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.