Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The removal of the outer layer or cortex from a structure, especially the kidney, brain, or other organ.
- ‘The procedure is known as a decortication, and will require general anesthesia.’
- 1.1Medicine The operation of removing fibrous scar tissue that prevents expansion of the lung.
- ‘In many centres video assisted thoracoscopic surgery is used routinely to accomplish decortication.’
- ‘He underwent a thoracotomy and open decortication and was discharged to home 5 days later.’
- ‘Four of these patients underwent thoracotomy with decortication, but only one substantially improved.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.