Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The removal of the outer layer or cortex from a structure, especially the kidney, brain, or other organ.
- ‘The procedure is known as a decortication, and will require general anesthesia.’
- 1.1Medicine The operation of removing fibrous scar tissue that prevents expansion of the lung.
- ‘Four of these patients underwent thoracotomy with decortication, but only one substantially improved.’
- ‘He underwent a thoracotomy and open decortication and was discharged to home 5 days later.’
- ‘In many centres video assisted thoracoscopic surgery is used routinely to accomplish decortication.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.