Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arts concerned with the production of objects which are both useful and beautiful.
- ‘The movement was very successful in going beyond the borders of fine art and spreading into commercial and decorative arts.’
- ‘The new American wing for decorative arts opened in 1924.’
- ‘Chinese decorative arts have an 8,000-year history; the artisans of the Qing dynasty represent the zenith of many of these arts.’
- ‘Turke had no formal training in art, but she had designed costumes for the theatre and had experimented with decorative arts.’
- ‘The plates from the earlier work are used frequently as illustrations in this dictionary of materials and techniques in the decorative arts.’
- ‘This refreshing look at the cultural world of a northern European prince is a must-see for those concerned with the decorative arts and the history of collecting.’
- ‘By this time, De Morgan had turned his attention to the decorative arts and had been experimenting with stained glass.’
- ‘This allows these pieces to shift beautifully between the realms of fine and decorative arts.’
- ‘The scope of Burton's artistic ability went well beyond that of decorative arts in the arts and crafts style.’
- ‘The art deco style in France permeated every aspect of the decorative arts, but it was particularly appealing to graphic designers.’
- ‘Her encouragement of the decorative arts is exemplified by ardent partisanship on behalf of the Sevres pottery she established at Bellevue.’
- ‘The collection focuses on American paintings and decorative arts from the late 17th through 19th centuries.’
- ‘Over the years, I felt I should involve myself in that, so I took a sabbatical and went to Chicago to study blacksmithing and the decorative arts.’
- ‘Mosaics are one of the oldest known decorative arts, found in archaeological digs as old as 4th Century BC.’
- ‘In 1892 the two men established the influential Old Edinburgh School of Art, offering classes in the fine and decorative arts.’
- ‘The Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society was founded in London in 1887 with the goal of elevating the decorative arts to the level of the fine arts.’
- ‘Each piece of work contains a strong design element bringing to mind decorative arts of the Twenties and Thirties.’
- ‘For a man who was more at home in the worlds of music, antiques and the decorative arts, a naval career, which his father insisted he should follow, was anathema.’
- ‘The museum also features galleries devoted to photography and decorative arts, including Steuben glass.’
- ‘Its broad array of offerings covers the entire history of art, and includes decorative arts.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.