Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small room in which the air pressure can be varied, used chiefly to allow deep-sea divers to adjust gradually to normal air pressure.
- ‘The navy had an emergency decompression chamber on stand by in case one of the divers suffered the bends.’
- ‘TWO divers needed treatment in a decompression chamber yesterday after getting into difficulties off Bridlington.’
- ‘A diver was treated in the decompression chamber at ICIT in Stromness after surfacing on Sunday afternoon with symptoms of the bends.’
- ‘An ambulance was waiting for the divers, who were on board the vessel Jean Elaine, and took them to the Stromness decompression chamber.’
- ‘The other man was transferred by helicopter to the decompression chamber at Craigavon Area hospital where his condition last night was described as stable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.