One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small room in which the air pressure can be varied, used chiefly to allow deep-sea divers to adjust gradually to normal air pressure.
- ‘The other man was transferred by helicopter to the decompression chamber at Craigavon Area hospital where his condition last night was described as stable.’
- ‘An ambulance was waiting for the divers, who were on board the vessel Jean Elaine, and took them to the Stromness decompression chamber.’
- ‘The navy had an emergency decompression chamber on stand by in case one of the divers suffered the bends.’
- ‘TWO divers needed treatment in a decompression chamber yesterday after getting into difficulties off Bridlington.’
- ‘A diver was treated in the decompression chamber at ICIT in Stromness after surfacing on Sunday afternoon with symptoms of the bends.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.