One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small room in which the air pressure can be varied, used chiefly to allow deep-sea divers to adjust gradually to normal air pressure.
- ‘The navy had an emergency decompression chamber on stand by in case one of the divers suffered the bends.’
- ‘A diver was treated in the decompression chamber at ICIT in Stromness after surfacing on Sunday afternoon with symptoms of the bends.’
- ‘The other man was transferred by helicopter to the decompression chamber at Craigavon Area hospital where his condition last night was described as stable.’
- ‘An ambulance was waiting for the divers, who were on board the vessel Jean Elaine, and took them to the Stromness decompression chamber.’
- ‘TWO divers needed treatment in a decompression chamber yesterday after getting into difficulties off Bridlington.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.