One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove the colour from.
make white, turn white, whiten, make pale, turn pale, make pallid, turn pallid, blanch, lighten, fade, wash out, decolorize, peroxide, etiolateView synonyms
- ‘Syrups, and many animal, vegetable, and saline solutions, are decoloured or whitened by agitation with animal charcoal.’
- ‘The bacteria only are stained, while all other elements are decolored.’
- ‘A patent was granted, in the year 1848, to MH Picciotto, for two several methods of purifying and decoloring all varieties of gum-arabic.’
- ‘The powerful action of the kidneys soon relieves the circulation of bile and decolours the eye.’
- ‘Egg shells are often used to clear or decolour a white wine.’
Late Middle English: from French décolorer or Latin decolorare, from de- (expressing removal or reversal) + Latin colorare ‘to colour’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.