Remove the colour from.
make white, turn white, whiten, make pale, turn pale, make pallid, turn pallid, blanch, lighten, fade, wash out, decolour, decolorize, peroxide, etiolateView synonyms
- ‘The powerful action of the kidneys soon relieves the circulation of bile and decolours the eye.’
- ‘The bacteria only are stained, while all other elements are decolored.’
- ‘Syrups, and many animal, vegetable, and saline solutions, are decoloured or whitened by agitation with animal charcoal.’
- ‘A patent was granted, in the year 1848, to MH Picciotto, for two several methods of purifying and decoloring all varieties of gum-arabic.’
- ‘Egg shells are often used to clear or decolour a white wine.’
Late Middle English: from French décolorer or Latin decolorare, from de- (expressing removal or reversal) + Latin colorare to colour.