Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A process in which some strata become partly detached from those underneath and slide over them, causing folding and deformation.
- ‘Analogue and numerical modelling together with field studies show that these two end-members of decollement result in different deformation styles.’
- ‘Therefore, we attribute the formation of arc shapes in the model to differential propagation of the deformation front above two different types of decollement.’
- ‘Therefore we suggest that even though the sedimentary thickness variation may have played some role in differential propagation of the deformation front, the effect of the Hormuz salt decollement must have been more significant.’
- ‘Intense shearing, with development of metre-scale lenses and phacoidal and S-C fabrics in the Maniga unit, is interpreted to be decollement related.’
- 1.1[count noun]A boundary separating deformed strata from underlying strata which are not similarly deformed.
- ‘These deflection zones are transpressional and show a general trend parallel to the initial boundary between the viscous and frictional decollements.’
- ‘The sand cover deformed differently above the frictional and viscous decollements.’
- ‘During shortening, the domains underlain by a frictional decollement were pinned at this facies boundary.’
- ‘However, the presence of both types of decollements within the same tectonic region results in the formation of complex structures at the boundary between the two zones.’
- ‘The boundary between the viscous and frictional decollements in domain B was perpendicular to the shortening direction.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from décoller unstick.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.