One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Disengage the clutch of a motor.See also double-declutch
- ‘There is no clutch, so you don't even have to remember to declutch when stopping.’
- ‘As soon as the flywheel starts spinning with requisite speed, the bendix drive declutches from the flywheel.’
- ‘This means that power to the engine is cut while the mechanism declutches and changes gear, causing a marked lurching sensation.’
- ‘A slight touch on the shift lever and the system automatically declutches, changes gear and re-engages the clutch.’
- ‘If a jam occurs - even during start-up - the engine throttles down and declutches before damage is sustained.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.