Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove the claws from (an animal, typically a cat).
- ‘I have four cats of my own, none of then declawed, and my upholstery and curtains are intact and my rugs unsnagged.’
- ‘If your cat has not been declawed, you'll need to remove the hooks on the ends of the claws.’
- ‘The tigers at ALS are declawed on their front paws and so could not have gained a ‘toe-hold’ on a fully closed window through the use of a claw.’
- ‘‘We feel that it is one of the surgeries that people take very much for granted,’ says Luke, noting that many owners bring in their kittens to be declawed as a matter of routine.’
- ‘A better vet later gently declawed this poor cat and her life was better for it.’
- ‘Of course, declawed cats should be indoor-only pets and you should be very careful mixing them with cats that still have their claws.’
- ‘My vet said I only have two options - to get rid of Fred or have him declawed - neither of which I want to do!’
- ‘Someone should have told Courtney Love to have her cat declawed… he ruined her dress!’
- ‘I've always been horrified by the idea of declawing a cat (even a housecat), but if she doesn't take a shine to the kid, it could get nasty.’
- ‘I have zero desire to declaw this cat (he's old and fat, plus it's just mean).’
- ‘He had already been declawed and neutered by a past owner as well.’
- ‘Some owners request otherwise unnecessary surgical procedures in an effort to make their animals more suitable as pets, although even declawed and defanged animals are still highly dangerous.’
- ‘Also, I finally had to get the cat declawed, and that upset the hell out of me for some reason.’
- ‘Wildlife officials are setting traps for the declawed leopard, but so far no luck.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.