One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make known one's financial interests in an undertaking before it is discussed.‘failure to register or declare an interest while lobbying ministers’
- ‘I've spoken to people at Tottenham, I've declared my interest.’
- ‘When Steve Archibald declared his interest in buying Airdrie this week he did not state whether he would also be making a playing comeback.’
- ‘Last August, To was accused of failing to declare his interest in a flat he purchased and later transferred to the Democratic Party in 1997.’
- ‘Murphy declared his interest in the Eccles Street and Marlborough Street properties last October in the Corporation's register of interests.’
- ‘Says Sue Matthews, chair of the ballet board, ‘We had to feel confident that the opera house was going to happen before we could publicly declare our interest.’’
- ‘Ever since he declared his interest just over a week ago, the City has been telling him they wanted at least 400p.’
- ‘Let me declare my interest: I am CEO of Nanotechnology Victoria, a company set up to invest in nanotechnology to support Victorian industry.’
- ‘Two other clubs have also declared their interest in signing Leigh's Papua New Guinea international.’
- ‘Instead, a poker-faced Willis wanders around the camp like a wary housebuyer uncertain as to whether he should declare his interest.’
- ‘Responding to the criticism, Coun Sturgis said he has always declared his interest in the housing development during council meetings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.