One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The underside of the deck of a ship.
- ‘Finally, the ship has low deckheads and cable racks throughout so we ask that all visitors watch their head as they move through the ship.’
- ‘These systems are mostly hidden in the bowels and deckheads of your yacht, but are essential to the yacht's ability to operate and to your comfort.’
- ‘The differences between the deck, deckhead and a bulkhead are well known to most of us but when you try to explain it to your Mum or Dad you may not be so easily understood.’
- ‘All this set within a framework of the most superb light mahogany, with white-painted deckheads giving a light yet classic ambience throughout.’
- ‘New deckheads and carpets were fitted throughout all accommodation and recreation areas.’
- ‘When the stiffened side of a bulkhead or the deckhead is being insulated the area of each stiffener or beam should be obtained by multiplying its length by twice its depth.’
- ‘Tank interiors including deckheads should be cleaned of all fuel and oil.’
- ‘The ropes running across the deckhead are the rudder lines - from the wheel to the rudder yoke.’
- ‘The fit-out below is unparalleled - in polished Honduran mahogany with white deckheads and bronze light-fittings.’
- ‘The gravity cooler is usually a grid of plain pipe covering the fishroom deckhead and sometimes extending down the sides and bulkheads.’
- ‘There is an opening hatch in the deckhead of this head to provide light and ventilation.’
- ‘The Jiari is a comfortable vessel in which to travel, even if the layout may seem odd and the deckheads are extremely low in places.’
- ‘It was decided to clean, rust proof and paint the bilges, bulkheads and deckheads.’
- ‘The decks are covered by carpet and aluminum panels cover the deckheads.’
- ‘Has your boat got a decorative foam backed vinyl stuck on the deckheads and bulkheads, 2 part foam, or sprayed foam?’
- ‘The duct runs high in the cabin, around the edge of the deckhead, where the wiring is easily accessible but the white, flush-style duct still looks quite nice.’
- ‘Please indicate the specific provisions prohibiting the use of lime wash for the painting of the wall surfaces and deckheads in sleeping rooms and mess rooms.’
- ‘Quality is evident throughout, and is nowhere more obvious than in the fit and finish in cabinet work, on bulkheads, deckheads, closets, cupboards and in storage areas.’
- ‘Past projects have included the assessment of ship's hatches, coamings, deckheads, sideshells and double bottoms.’
- ‘Below is an image of the view across the main cabin, showing how the panels below the deckhead look after the job is done.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.