Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The underside of the deck of a ship.
- ‘Below is an image of the view across the main cabin, showing how the panels below the deckhead look after the job is done.’
- ‘When the stiffened side of a bulkhead or the deckhead is being insulated the area of each stiffener or beam should be obtained by multiplying its length by twice its depth.’
- ‘The fit-out below is unparalleled - in polished Honduran mahogany with white deckheads and bronze light-fittings.’
- ‘These systems are mostly hidden in the bowels and deckheads of your yacht, but are essential to the yacht's ability to operate and to your comfort.’
- ‘It was decided to clean, rust proof and paint the bilges, bulkheads and deckheads.’
- ‘There is an opening hatch in the deckhead of this head to provide light and ventilation.’
- ‘New deckheads and carpets were fitted throughout all accommodation and recreation areas.’
- ‘The Jiari is a comfortable vessel in which to travel, even if the layout may seem odd and the deckheads are extremely low in places.’
- ‘The gravity cooler is usually a grid of plain pipe covering the fishroom deckhead and sometimes extending down the sides and bulkheads.’
- ‘Has your boat got a decorative foam backed vinyl stuck on the deckheads and bulkheads, 2 part foam, or sprayed foam?’
- ‘Past projects have included the assessment of ship's hatches, coamings, deckheads, sideshells and double bottoms.’
- ‘All this set within a framework of the most superb light mahogany, with white-painted deckheads giving a light yet classic ambience throughout.’
- ‘The differences between the deck, deckhead and a bulkhead are well known to most of us but when you try to explain it to your Mum or Dad you may not be so easily understood.’
- ‘Finally, the ship has low deckheads and cable racks throughout so we ask that all visitors watch their head as they move through the ship.’
- ‘The ropes running across the deckhead are the rudder lines - from the wheel to the rudder yoke.’
- ‘Please indicate the specific provisions prohibiting the use of lime wash for the painting of the wall surfaces and deckheads in sleeping rooms and mess rooms.’
- ‘The duct runs high in the cabin, around the edge of the deckhead, where the wiring is easily accessible but the white, flush-style duct still looks quite nice.’
- ‘Tank interiors including deckheads should be cleaned of all fuel and oil.’
- ‘The decks are covered by carpet and aluminum panels cover the deckheads.’
- ‘Quality is evident throughout, and is nowhere more obvious than in the fit and finish in cabinet work, on bulkheads, deckheads, closets, cupboards and in storage areas.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.