One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flat canvas or leather shoe with rubber soles.
- ‘In the UK, when speaking of footware, pumps are casual shoes, such as canvas deck shoes or tennis shoes.’
- ‘Those common chaps in their deck shoes, blue jeans and button-up City Beach shirts can look hot.’
- ‘I ended up in Shuh but had to walk out because I came across the Vans deck shoes.’
- ‘A pair of deck shoes sat idly under the swing.’
- ‘Six months on, with a bleached fringe and deck shoes, you'd never have known.’
- ‘My sister's boyfriend was sitting in the very back and wearing a cheap black suit with brown deck shoes.’
- ‘Mandrake fancies that Nat is more comfortable in deck shoes.’
- ‘We used to dance to this in our best 80's clobber - blue deck shoes, baggy three quarter lengths, striped grandad shirts and short suede jackets.’
- ‘For daytime use take shorts, shirts and a good pair of deck shoes with white soles.’
- ‘When fly fishing, wear either no shoes or slip-on type deck shoes.’
- ‘It houses 125 employees who make a range of shoes including a popular deck shoe.’
- ‘Trust me, my creamy Armani jeans and deck shoes have just about lived to tell the tale.’
- ‘Actually, I might give the remaining deck shoe to the person who can answer the question "why are Liverpudlians so whimsical?"’
- ‘A typical acceptable outfit would be chinos, checky short-sleeve shirt and deck shoes.’
- ‘She even went back for her deck shoes, telling her husband she was not prepared to be seen in "sailing boots and shorts" when rescued.’
- ‘Preferring Hawaiian shirt and deck shoes sans socks, Warren is as unpretentious as he is popular.’
- ‘Bare-chested skippers in deck shoes were joined by bikini-clad sun worshippers, visitors, water skiers and local boat owners on board around 300 boats.’
- ‘The only real surprise is that Phillip Michael Thomas doesn't show up in a blazer and deck shoes.’
- ‘He had a blue suit, a white tee shirt, and deck shoes.’
- ‘David's standard uniform was a golf shirt, Sperry top-sider deck shoes, and Southwest Gas Co. hat with his ponytail trailing out the back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.