Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The mathematical study of strategies for optimal decision-making between options involving different risks or expectations of gain or loss depending on the outcome.Compare with game theory
- ‘This sort of reasoning is a simple example from the branch of logic called decision theory.’
- ‘The other main direction of his work was to study gambling as a source to stimulate problems in probability and decision theory.’
- ‘Evidence based medicine is the most recent, and by most standards the most successful, effort to date to apply statistical decision theory in clinical medicine.’
- ‘Current practitioners make largely ad hoc use of statistics, probability, decision theory, graph theory, and tools from artificial intelligence and expert systems design.’
- ‘The usual rule in statistical decision theory is to reject those hypotheses whose probability falls below .05.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.