One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mathematical study of strategies for optimal decision-making between options involving different risks or expectations of gain or loss depending on the outcome.Compare with game theory
- ‘The usual rule in statistical decision theory is to reject those hypotheses whose probability falls below .05.’
- ‘This sort of reasoning is a simple example from the branch of logic called decision theory.’
- ‘The other main direction of his work was to study gambling as a source to stimulate problems in probability and decision theory.’
- ‘Evidence based medicine is the most recent, and by most standards the most successful, effort to date to apply statistical decision theory in clinical medicine.’
- ‘Current practitioners make largely ad hoc use of statistics, probability, decision theory, graph theory, and tools from artificial intelligence and expert systems design.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.