Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The position of a digit to the right of a decimal point.‘calculate, to one decimal place, the following ten ratios’
- ‘A more careful analysis can be given to show that the sum of this series is 23.10345, to five decimal places.’
- ‘Its digits have been computed to 51,539,600,000 decimal places.’
- ‘Converted to decimals this is 0.0087268 which is correct to 6 decimal places, the answer to 7 decimal places being 0.0087265.’
- ‘Euler gave an approximation for e to 18 decimal places,’
- ‘He investigated the series and calculated Euler's constant to 15 decimal places.’
- ‘We have seen that to the left of the decimal place, the digits represent 1's, 10's, 100's, 1000's, and so on.’
- ‘This converts to the decimal 1.3688081075 which is correct to nine decimal places, a remarkable achievement.’
- ‘In his spare time, between 1844 and 1847, he calculated the natural logarithms of the first 1005000 numbers to 7 decimal places.’
- ‘What is the value of the number 12.4547 rounded up to 2 decimal places?’
- ‘These tables display a high degree of accuracy, being correct to at least 8 decimal places.’
- ‘In 1908 he published an article where he calculated p to 200 decimal places.’
- ‘Its digits have been computed to 1,241,100,000,000 decimal places.’
- ‘He produced his Treatise on the Circumference in July 1424, a work in which he calculated 2p to nine sexagesimal places and translated this into sixteen decimal places.’
- ‘Computers have calculated pi to many decimal places.’
- ‘With my pulse racing, I checked their results against mine. Our figures and graphs agreed to within three decimal places.’
- ‘Similarly to divide by 10, 100, 1000, or 10000 the rods are moved backwards by 1, 2, 3, or 4 decimal places.’
- ‘Find the square root of 821 to four decimal places.’
- ‘The company also relies on laser micrometers to accurately measure tube diameters to five decimal places.’
- ‘Given that expression, which represents an infinite number of decimal digits, you can compute its value to any number of decimal places.’
- ‘He calculated the constant to 16 decimal places.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.