Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A game, goal, point, etc. that settles a contest or series of contests:‘a tense promotion decider’
- ‘Gerry netted two goals in the decider and also won Man of the Match.’
- ‘The week leading up to the series decider was comfortably the worst week of my life.’
- ‘With shoulders drooped, Geaves left the court and was never able to raise her game in the decider.’
- ‘Despite taking the first game, Luo found it hard to cope with Santoso's fast paced game in the decider.’
- ‘The Chilean had first served for the match in the 10th game of the decider.’
- ‘He trailed 10-5 in the decider but reduced the deficit to one point, only for Shon to produce a late surge to clinch the match.’
- ‘That appeared to take the wind out of the Williams sail as the fitter and more experienced Capriati won the first five games of the decider to make it nine in a row.’
- ‘As it is, Britain won with a British ref, then Australia won with an Aussie ref, and so each side naturally wanted a personal referee for the decider.’
- ‘It rules him out of the Oval decider against India next week and the ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka in September.’
- ‘But he claimed the next two sets before Safin broke in the fourth game of the decider and clung on for victory.’
- ‘Intriguingly, Bilton and Menston meet on the final weekend of the season in what is shaping up to be a championship decider.’
- ‘He replaces Michael Kasprowicz in the team for the series decider, which starts at The Oval in London today.’
- ‘Instead, in high risk matches such as derbies and League deciders, the goalkeeper is always in front of the opposing fans in the first half, then his own fans in the second half.’
- ‘Wingman Paul Gardner crossed for the vital decider and two further goals from deadly marksman Innes made absolutely sure of a happy return journey.’
- ‘York play promotion rivals Castlegarth in their final match which may prove to be the promotion decider.’
- ‘Australia have chosen the same line-up for the third consecutive Test against New Zealand in the series decider at Auckland tomorrow.’
- ‘In the series decider, he took seven wickets to play a stellar role in the victory.’
- ‘The four goals from Wayne Rooney sets up a decider in Istanbul.’
- ‘Umpires David Shepherd and Steve Bucknor join Australians Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan and Glenn McGrath as survivors of the last two World Cup final deciders.’
- ‘Pudsey, who were leading 1-0 at the time, meet Holme Wood on Sunday in what will be a championship decider.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.