One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove carbon from (iron or steel)‘high-carbon steel was decarburized in the forge’
- ‘This product deoxidizes, descales, and decarburizes steel, copper alloys, iron, and other noble alloys.’
- ‘This long heat treatment increases cost, limits rate of production and decarburizes the surface layer.’
- ‘A two step process is then required; the first producing the carburized bloom and the second, a heat-treatment to decarburize the iron for proper forging.’
- ‘The degree to which a bar may be decarburized depends upon the chemical analysis of the steel.’
- ‘His pressure tests burst the steel pipes in a week, revealing that the dense hydrogen had decarburized inner layers to a hard and brittle stuff.’
Mid 19th century: from de- (expressing removal) + carburize, on the pattern of French décarburer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.