Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyses the decarboxylation of a particular organic molecule.
- ‘Two inherited disorders affecting pyrimidine biosynthesis are the result of deficiencies in the bifunctional enzyme catalyzing the last two steps of UMP synthesis, orotate phosphoribosyl transferase and OMP decarboxylase.’
- ‘A major source of ammonium, especially in C 3 plants, arises in the mitochondria from the decarboxylation of glycine to serine by the glycine decarboxylase as part of the photorespiratory cycle.’
- ‘This process would consume protons in a similar way to the malic enzyme reaction and PEPCK might therefore be functioning as a decarboxylase in the biochemical pH stat.’
- ‘Green tea catechins have been shown to inhibit the actions of 5-alpha-reductase and ornithine decarboxylase, two enzymes considered important in the development of prostate cancer.’
- ‘The key enzyme in initial stages of alkaloid biosynthesis is tryptophan decarboxylase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.