Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A colourless liquid hydrocarbon of the alkane series, present in petroleum spirit.
- ‘The solvent was removed by evaporation with a N 2 stream and the dried lipid film was resuspended in decane to form a final total lipid concentration of 25 mg/ml.’
- ‘These compounds are sufficiently soluble in decane to form stable bilayers if they are combined with DOPE.’
- ‘This restricted diffusional space would account for a decreased gH in various gA channels in GMO / decane in relation to GMO / squalene bilayers.’
- ‘Membranes were made from glycerolmonooleate in either decane or hexadecane.’
- ‘Bilayers were composed of 80% phosphatidylethanolamine and 20% phosphatidylcholine dissolved in decane at a final concentration of 50 mg/ml.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.