Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who offers professional advice on methods of debt repayment.
- ‘The service is patchy, though, as some offices are too small to offer trained debt counsellors, so their main role is essentially to help you to help yourself, rather than setting up debt-management plans for you.’
- ‘Having someone else take the effort away from dealing with all your creditors may sound like a dream, but debt counsellors advise people to steer clear of consolidation loans.’
- ‘MPs and debt counsellors have attacked a credit card with a top interest rate of 70 per cent issued by a Bradford-based lender.’
- ‘Charity-based debt counsellors advise people to steer clear of agencies that charge for advice.’
- ‘When asked what reasons people use a debt counsellor for Ailish said: ‘For a number of reasons, unemployment, long term illness or separation.’’
- ‘They also receive life skills training, advice from debt counsellors, and access to other agencies such as the Citizens Advice Bureau.’
- ‘The reality being that they aren't managing and that there aren't nearly enough trained debt counsellors to go around.’
- ‘It said it could only reassess his application if he went to see a debt counsellor at the Citizens Advice Bureau, and the bureau produced a report explaining the need for the debts and saying what its recommendations were.’
- ‘Hence, the Citizens' Advice Bureau has suggested that debt counsellors should be placed in every GP surgery, in order to help borrowers who are suffering from stress, anxiety and depression.’
- ‘As well as receiving emergency food, they can access the services of partner agencies such as the Citizens' Advice Bureau, debt counsellors, housing support and health visitors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.