One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove the upper part of the beak of (a bird) to prevent it injuring other birds.‘debeaking is thought to cause chickens chronic pain’
- ‘As many as 100,000 birds can live in each ‘henhouse’ Conditions are so psychologically taxing on the birds that they must be debeaked to prevent pecking injuries.’
- ‘Birds may not resume normal pecking or preening for as long as six weeks after debeaking, and in some cases profuse bleeding and death from shock occurs.’
- ‘They're despurred and debeaked, but because of crowding and other stresses, they still find ways to harm each other.’
- ‘Every pig farmer knows that if pigs are unhappy they fight (and they can't exactly be debeaked like chickens) so most try to keep them happy.’
- ‘The ‘free range’ hens kept for laying eggs are still debeaked just as the battery hens are.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.