One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- old-fashioned term for death toll
- ‘In fact, the brigade's death roll was only 110; 17% of the 666 who set out.’
- ‘It is as if each pestilence required its own accountant who is spared in order to put down the death roll of the community.’
- ‘But, with only a few names released to the public as of this writing, there is a strong chance that our sport will hear of friends either on the death roll or injured lists to be released in the near future.’
- ‘He told them that he had obtained copy of an official police report which gave a final figure for the death roll of between 202,040 and 250,000.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.