One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in science fiction) a beam or ray capable of killing.
- ‘It's a tune about the great inventor Tesla's attempt to create a death ray.’
- ‘Personnel worked with varying degrees of success to develop a range of tools, from secret inks and concealed cameras to poisons, explosives, and a death ray.’
- ‘This is all Flash Gordon stuff, so do not be surprised if an alien tries to zap you with a death ray.’
- ‘According to the laws that dictate super-villainy, the next step is obviously some kind of powerful death ray.’
- ‘Armed with death rays, these little green men want to enslave humanity and harvest their primitive minds.’
- ‘Where, pray tell me, are our superheroes going to get changed next time Lex Luthor unleashes his brain-melting death ray.’
- ‘For now, I'm off to fight the twelve-foot lizard beasts that control the planet with their evil death rays.’
- ‘You'll just zap me with your death ray when we're halfway across the river and I'm all defenseless.’
- ‘You grew ever more diverse in your inventions: remote-controlled boats and submarines, bladeless turbines, and, finally, a death ray.’
- ‘With her new powers, Vicki was now able to deliver deadly electric shocks through her cybernetic skin as well as shoot death rays from her eyes.’
- ‘Quite frankly, if the aliens don't shower us with death rays this time round, there really is no life in space.’
- ‘Did the aliens have a death ray that fried all clothing items except for shirts, and if so, why?’
- ‘Then Superman, Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk battled Dr Octopus, having only two hours to shut off his death ray before it destroyed the world.’
- ‘He said he'd invented a death ray and he spent his nights communing with the pigeons in Central Park.’
- ‘It is not my fault that rather than green my fingers appear to act as a kind of death ray.’
- ‘And, although Warne has been bowling such a ball in Australia for many seasons, England have treated it here like a Martian death ray.’
- ‘Among other weapons, Crypto's saucer incorporates an ‘abducto-beam’ and a death ray out of The War of the Worlds (the pre-Spielberg film).’
- ‘Anyway, the little green space men need tin cans in the construction of their death ray, which will kill us all at the dawn of the millennium.’
- ‘After dreaming up a death ray and an artificial aurora to light the world at night, he died in a hotel tending his pet pigeons.’
- ‘He predicted that in 1958 the U.S. would discover some sort of death ray used on Atlantis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.