Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of heavy metal music using lyrics preoccupied with death, suffering, and destruction.
- ‘Tristania combines rock, Goth, death metal, black metal, classical music and symphonic rock on February 18 at Manchester Academy.’
- ‘She listens to heavy metal, death metal, punk, and classic rock.’
- ‘Released in summer of last year, Slipknot is a bludgeoning epic which mixes death metal, hardcore punk and hip hop with surprisingly pop melodies.’
- ‘I was vastly amused to see the plants grown to a soundtrack of death metal outperforming the plants that listened to classical music.’
- ‘This New Jersey band began in 1996 playing straight-up brutal, atonal death metal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.