One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in wrestling) a match in which many of the normal rules do not apply, typically leading to a more violent contest.
- ‘He was a rare breed of wrestler who fit in just as good in a junior heavyweight tournament as he did in deathmatch tournaments.’
2(in computer gaming) a mode of play in which the aim is to kill the characters controlled by other players.
- ‘I've always enjoyed the team based gametypes more than the deathmatch games.’
- ‘Maps should be suitable for deathmatch involving between 10-16 players.’
- ‘The multiplayer mode allows you to go head-to-head with up to three other players in a Twisted Metal style deathmatch.’
- ‘It's high time for developers to recognize deathmatch isn't the only or most entertaining multiplayer mode out there.’
- ‘I call foul on Korea for using the Moon to batter the opponent during a death match.’
- ‘There's the option for cooperative, time based or multiplayer missions within Everything or Nothing, along with deathmatches.’
- ‘Most deathmatch veterans will absolutely hate the slow pace of an arena match.’
- ‘I mean I spent countless hours playing Unreal, and although I enjoy a good deathmatch, single player games are my preference.’
- ‘The cool weapons in Will Rock make deathmatch a unique experience.’
- ‘We fired up Unreal Tournament 2003 and took a spin through a deathmatch level to make sure the mouse wouldn't go loco because of the blue LED.’
- ‘Customary with first person shooter titles, a deathmatch multiplayer component is present.’
- ‘We have 9 deathmatch levels with their own unique settings.’
- ‘Needless to say, US pundits are already calling this the ultimate celebrity deathmatch.’
- ‘In multiplayer mode, it supports team missions as well as some death match options.’
- ‘The solo game is fast-moving, while multiplay online allows for deathmatch, team deathmatch, posse and bounty challenges for up to eight players.’
- ‘On the multi-play side of things, Mech Assault shines with co-op and deathmatch battles in a variety of environments.’
- ‘In a fierce online deathmatch, this can often mean death to your online persona.’
- ‘Different modes like death match, body count or time challenge are waiting for the player to be entered.’
- ‘Multiplayer modes include co-op missions with up to 4 players, or death-match and team death-match with up to 16 players.’
- ‘Epic has added a system that lets you win credits as you play, as close to gambling on a death match as you can get.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.