Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(in wrestling) a match in which many of the normal rules do not apply, typically leading to a more violent contest.
- ‘He was a rare breed of wrestler who fit in just as good in a junior heavyweight tournament as he did in deathmatch tournaments.’
2(in computer gaming) a mode of play in which the aim is to kill the characters controlled by other players.
- ‘The multiplayer mode allows you to go head-to-head with up to three other players in a Twisted Metal style deathmatch.’
- ‘Maps should be suitable for deathmatch involving between 10-16 players.’
- ‘In a fierce online deathmatch, this can often mean death to your online persona.’
- ‘I mean I spent countless hours playing Unreal, and although I enjoy a good deathmatch, single player games are my preference.’
- ‘Most deathmatch veterans will absolutely hate the slow pace of an arena match.’
- ‘The cool weapons in Will Rock make deathmatch a unique experience.’
- ‘In multiplayer mode, it supports team missions as well as some death match options.’
- ‘I call foul on Korea for using the Moon to batter the opponent during a death match.’
- ‘We fired up Unreal Tournament 2003 and took a spin through a deathmatch level to make sure the mouse wouldn't go loco because of the blue LED.’
- ‘I've always enjoyed the team based gametypes more than the deathmatch games.’
- ‘Multiplayer modes include co-op missions with up to 4 players, or death-match and team death-match with up to 16 players.’
- ‘Customary with first person shooter titles, a deathmatch multiplayer component is present.’
- ‘It's high time for developers to recognize deathmatch isn't the only or most entertaining multiplayer mode out there.’
- ‘Different modes like death match, body count or time challenge are waiting for the player to be entered.’
- ‘Epic has added a system that lets you win credits as you play, as close to gambling on a death match as you can get.’
- ‘On the multi-play side of things, Mech Assault shines with co-op and deathmatch battles in a variety of environments.’
- ‘The solo game is fast-moving, while multiplay online allows for deathmatch, team deathmatch, posse and bounty challenges for up to eight players.’
- ‘We have 9 deathmatch levels with their own unique settings.’
- ‘There's the option for cooperative, time based or multiplayer missions within Everything or Nothing, along with deathmatches.’
- ‘Needless to say, US pundits are already calling this the ultimate celebrity deathmatch.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.