Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An innate desire for self-annihilation, proposed by certain psychologists.Compare with life instinct
- ‘So it's suddenly obvious why Freud might want to connect repetition with that utterly final peacemaker, the death instinct.’
- ‘Conversely, the death instinct originates with the birth of the human being and is an integral part of development, as has been pointed out by Freud and Klein.’
- ‘Segal describes a psychic pain involving the expression of the death instinct.’
- ‘Freud considered that aggression was derived from the death instinct being redirected towards the external world.’
- ‘The conflict between libido and ego-instincts becomes a conflict between eros and the death instinct.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.