One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An innate desire for self-annihilation, proposed by certain psychologists.Compare with life instinct
- ‘The conflict between libido and ego-instincts becomes a conflict between eros and the death instinct.’
- ‘Segal describes a psychic pain involving the expression of the death instinct.’
- ‘Conversely, the death instinct originates with the birth of the human being and is an integral part of development, as has been pointed out by Freud and Klein.’
- ‘So it's suddenly obvious why Freud might want to connect repetition with that utterly final peacemaker, the death instinct.’
- ‘Freud considered that aggression was derived from the death instinct being redirected towards the external world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.