One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A house in which someone has died.
- ‘Mummy and I didn't want to go down to the death-house too soon, because the aunts were in such deep mourning, always deeper in Ireland than anywhere else.’
- ‘He has managed to market seventy pieces from the balcony, every plank inscribed ‘from the death house of Franz Kafka.’’
- 1.1 A place for storing bodies prior to burial or cremation.
- ‘I've sat in the death house with victims' families, seen them suffer.’
- ‘He was left for dead in a hut known by the PoWs as the death house, but fellow prisoners nursed him to health.’
- 1.2US informal The building in which prisoners are kept in preparation for execution.
- ‘And Terre Haute Federal Prison and its death house in rural Indiana hardly make for a modern-day Calvary or Golgotha.’
- ‘The only documents he left behind are those in his home and a few letters hidden in prisoner files from Sing Sing's death house, which are now housed at the New York State Archives in Albany.’
- ‘He and I both knew that when we entered the death house as juvenile offenders, there was no room left for the boys within us.’
- ‘On January 12, two prison matrons escorted her quickly into the death house and strapped her, sobbing, into the large wooden chair.’
- ‘It angers the world more than the film of the death houses and torture chambers discovered in Iraq.’
- ‘Yup, our very favorite mad bomber cheated the death house, and I say that's cause for celebration.’
- ‘This is the death house, where killing is done by quiet-spoken, polite people who first serve you a fine meal and pray with you before they kill you.’
- ‘Officials said they moved the prisoner to a bare cell in the windowless death house on the prison grounds yesterday, confirming it with a video released to news media.’
- ‘The US has chosen the death house as the final arbiter of justice.’
- ‘He reveals to an elderly lady friend that he once was chief guard in the death house of the state pen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.