Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A venomous Australian snake which has a thin worm-like tail that it uses to lure birds and other prey.
- ‘The program profiles two staff members of the Australian Reptile Park as they search for one of Australia's deadliest snakes - the death adder.’
- ‘Cobras can cause local swelling, blistering, and necrosis; other Elapidae such as kraits, coral snakes, and Australian death adders produce negligible local envenoming.’
- ‘‘We need something like 50 to 60 death adders to milk every two weeks in order to provide a sufficient quantity of venom,’ Weigel estimated.’
- ‘At one point I stumble and come within inches of stepping on a death adder - ‘one of the deadliest snakes in Papua,’ Woolford tells me later.’
- ‘The islands are nature reserves and provide refuges for such diverse wildlife as Cape Barren geese, sea lions, tammar wallabies and death adders.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.