One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A human skull as a symbol of mortality.
- ‘Seen in the Paris version of the show, these murky images of death's heads and Gothic windows affirmed a late Symbolist streak in Schad's work.’
- ‘His first death's heads had geometric wings, a double row of teeth, a double triangular nose, and large blank eyes.’
- ‘Her visions not only disrupt memory, but her very sense of self: when she looks in the mirror she sees a death's head rather than her own reflection.’
- ‘Their members are easily spotted because their heads, necks and arms are often covered with elaborate tattoos bearing symbols of the three main gangs - ‘MS,’ ‘13,’ ‘18’ and dice, death's heads or daggers.’
- ‘Elie identifies the soldiers by the emblem on their helmets, the death's head.’
- ‘A pirate flag with the president for a death's head went up in orange flames.’
- ‘Interestingly, there are also tombs, skeletons and death's heads, along with some shocking acts of violence.’
- ‘The lead tank had a death's head painted on the side.’
- ‘Curious school children often turn to some small shops selling plastic toys shaped like a spiderman or death's head in which a tiny amplifier is installed.’
- ‘Even more horrible was a big earthen jar in the middle of the courtyard, in which hung a white death's head along with some leg bones.’
- ‘Lucy's delirium uncannily resembles Anna O.'s vision of a death's head in Studies on Hysteria.’
- ‘Strict regulations govern the disposal of toxic materials, and we should be alert to the slow passing, in dead of night, of trains with death's heads stencilled on their wagons.’
- ‘Witches, black cats, death's head cut from a pumpkin, candles, masks, parties and pranks were used.’
- ‘The figure of the death's head has been a prominent symbol of human mortality and the vanity of life in Western culture.’
- ‘Shamael is a tattoo artist who himself now sports Celtic crosses, screaming eagles, and death's heads.’
- ‘It is easy to read the death's head in The Ambassadors purely as an exercise in negation, particularly since the anamorphosis so unsettles one's sense of reality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.