Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A letter from a woman to a man, ending a romantic or sexual relationship.
- ‘I told her ‘You sent me a Dear John letter in 1949’.’
- ‘There isn't a love note, Dear John letter or other outpouring of amorous intention that I haven't seen or perpetrated by now.’
- ‘My girlfriend of four years had sent me a "Dear John" letter, saying she had waited too long for me to return and found someone else.’
- ‘You might think it's easier this way but have you though about how many suicides are caused in direct response to a receiving a Dear John Letter?’
- ‘Soldiers mourn their friends, and bemoan Dear John letters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.