One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A letter from a woman to a man, ending a romantic or sexual relationship.‘a young officer gets his Dear John letter’
- ‘Soldiers mourn their friends, and bemoan Dear John letters.’
- ‘There isn't a love note, Dear John letter or other outpouring of amorous intention that I haven't seen or perpetrated by now.’
- ‘You might think it's easier this way but have you though about how many suicides are caused in direct response to a receiving a Dear John Letter?’
- ‘I told her ‘You sent me a Dear John letter in 1949’.’
- ‘My girlfriend of four years had sent me a "Dear John" letter, saying she had waited too long for me to return and found someone else.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.