One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A letter from a woman to a man, ending a romantic or sexual relationship.‘a young officer gets his Dear John letter’
- ‘I told her ‘You sent me a Dear John letter in 1949’.’
- ‘My girlfriend of four years had sent me a "Dear John" letter, saying she had waited too long for me to return and found someone else.’
- ‘You might think it's easier this way but have you though about how many suicides are caused in direct response to a receiving a Dear John Letter?’
- ‘Soldiers mourn their friends, and bemoan Dear John letters.’
- ‘There isn't a love note, Dear John letter or other outpouring of amorous intention that I haven't seen or perpetrated by now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.