Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A list of students recognized for academic achievement during a term by the dean of the college they attend.
- ‘Since lighting up in an exam room might cause problems, cigarettes probably aren't the key to getting on the dean's list.’
- ‘To maintain eligibility for the Stuhr, their scholars must make the dean's list at least once during the critical first two school years.’
- ‘Maezumi's children are also blossoming - Yuri is heading off to study French cuisine at the Cordon Bleu, Yoshi is on the dean's list at UCSB and Kirsten is pursuing an acting career in Hollywood.’
- ‘He made the dean's list all through college and posted a 4.0 grade-point average last fall.’
- ‘Mr. Arant has a 4.0 GPA in nursing, and has earned several honors, including 2002 Student of the Year, Kentucky Association of Nursing Students, and dean's list, fall 2002.’
- ‘I promised you the game if you got into the dean's list.’
- ‘The aspiring lawyer and dean's list student has been competing in pageants since childhood.’
- ‘He was a straight-A student and on the dean's list.’
- ‘But they weighed that against the fact that he was a dean's list student at North Dakota State University, held a steady job and had a clean record since leaving prison in 2000.’
- ‘My northern (across the street) neighbors didn't have everything, but every word out of their mouths was, ‘my son is the on the dean's list, my daughter is the most beautiful cheerleader, my son is the best pitcher‘; if you catch my drift.’’
- ‘I've seen many students spend too much time partying and flunk out, but I've also seen many of them sacrifice a lot of fun times and a lot of personal growth for a chance at the dean's list.’
- ‘The other half of the truth was that I was on the dean's list and preparing to graduate college with honors.’
- ‘During away games, ‘I study on the bus or at the hotel,’ says Webber, who has made the dean's list for the past three years.’
- ‘Nobody cares that you made dean's list your sophomore year, or that you organized a campus-wide campaign to ban liver and onions from the cafeteria.’
- ‘As a college freshman, I had made the dean's list.’
- ‘Van De Velde said 23 percent of the university's student athletes were on the dean's list in 2002, and 42 percent had a 3.0 grade average.’
- ‘She had been on the dean's list her freshman year, ‘but by the second year I had to repeat every class.’’
- ‘She played on Alcorn State's volleyball and softball teams and made the dean's list four times.’
- ‘Not only did bodybuilding’ help me meet my wife, but it gave me confidence and discipline that helped me to graduate from college on the dean's list and to eventually become a fourth-grade teacher and a certified personal trainer.’
- ‘Praneet Kumar Soi, 28, is an artist who completed his MFA in painting at the Savannah College of Art and Design, making the dean's list.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.