Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove dissolved air from (a substance).
- ‘Copper corrodes at negligible rates in unpolluted air, water, and deaerated nonoxidizing acids.’
- ‘The solutions were first deaerated by purging with gaseous NZ directly in the EPR cell for 10 min, then a small quantity of oxygen was added to the solution by injecting measured 1 mL of air into the purging line after the NZ was turned off.’
- ‘The filtered solution was deaerated with dry argon for 10 min and the mold was sealed.’
- ‘The solution was deaerated with pure nitrogen for 5 min, followed by deposition at the HMDE.’
- ‘In the laser flash photolysis measurements the solutions were deaerated by purging with nitrogen.’
- ‘No significant reaction was observed when deaerated solutions of MNAA were irradiated in any of the two solvents.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.