One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unpowered landing of an aircraft.
- ‘Another deadstick landing followed and this time he even had the time to turn left and clear the runway before bring the Spitfire to a halt.’
- ‘Two of the in-flight events (in July and December 2004) ended in successful deadstick landings.’
- ‘One by one the finalists went through their paces: three deadstick landings to a spot, two loops, a spin, two Immelman turns, two snap rolls - not prodigious feats, but calling for skill.’
- ‘In another incident, in November, another Beechjet 400 had to make a deadstick landing after dual engine failure during a descent from 38,000 ft.’
- ‘A deadstick landing is no time to lose your concentration and I flipped right over when I hit the deck.’
- ‘Shot down on 9 August 1945, while bombing Ominato airfield, an F4U Corsair flown by Lt. Vernon T. Coumbre made a deadstick landing five miles offshore.’
- ‘The guys who do the best deadstick landings in the simulator are all glider pilots.’
- ‘In a real plane, dead stick landings are pretty uncommon, but simulated power failures and deadstick landings are a required part of the curriculum.’
- ‘Training will include deadstick landings, crosswind take-offs and landings, go-arounds, and engine failure after takeoff.’
- ‘I like practicing my deadstick landings so I can get more comfortable with the plane just in case that unplanned-for event occurs.’
- ‘I would say that more than 90% of my flights with this plane have ended in deadstick landings.’
- ‘The one thing I'm proudest of is that I pulled off that deadstick landing, and did a pretty decent job of landing the thing… and even making the first turnoff.’
- ‘Because of its high wing loading, I did not attempt any deadstick landings.’
- ‘I had to shut down the engine and make a deadstick landing.’
- ‘Both airplanes had stalled and crashed during desperate attempts to make deadstick landings after careless fuel exhaustion.’
- ‘One version had me bringing the aircraft to a perfect deadstick landing after an engine failure at 1,000 ft or so.’
- ‘Whitey tried a deadstick landing in the Selway River and almost made it with only six feet of one wing snagging a tree.’
- ‘The story related that after the Navy torpedo bomber made a deadstick landing on the airfield the pilot stepped out of the cockpit and was shot down in cold blood.’
- ‘The Space Shuttle Enterprise was used only for approach and landing tests, launching from the back of a Boeing 747 and gliding to deadstick landings at Edwards AFB, California.’
- ‘The way I do deadstick landings is to put most of the drag out early and stay very tight to the field.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.